Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Neighborhood Leadership Institute: Pilot your city

It’s important to me to give back to the community, and my job demands that I be familiar with things that are going on around town. Tonight I am taking the third class with Charlottesville’s Neighborhood Leadership Institute. The Institute’s program consists of 11 sessions and there are almost 50 students of various ages and backgrounds. We all want to know how the city is run, learn about future projects, and find out how we can be responsible citizens of our community. Some of the session topics include “Public Safety: Buildings, Police and Fire,” “Transportation in Charlottesville,” and “Social Services and Education.”

I have been impressed with the program so far; several city officials have participated in these sessions, including former mayor David Brown. And the Institute is excellent at keeping its students engaged; last time we had a scavenger hunt in the City Hall. What a great way to learn what every department does and where it is located!

Be sure to check out some of the municipal links on the right side of my page if you want to learn more about our wonderful city!